January 22, 2014
BENTON TOWNSHIP, MI - Lake Michigan College wants to help students get a touchdown in higher education. LMC is one of nearly 30 sites in the state participating in College Goal Sunday on February 9, from 2 to 4 p.m., in the One Stop Student Services Center on LMC's Napier Avenue Campus, 2755 E. Napier Avenue, Benton Harbor.
This free event is open to high school seniors and adults planning to attend college in the fall. At the event, financial aid experts will be available to work one-on-one with individuals in completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, which is required for federal and state tuition grants. The FAFSA is also required in the application process for many scholarships. Families will also be able to discuss all financial aid resources, admission requirements and more.
If families file taxes electronically by January 29, FAFSA can use income information from the IRS automatically, facilitating the financial aid process.
Students under 23 years of age are encouraged to attend with a parent or guardian.
Individuals should bring 2013 income records to the event. Dependent students will also need their parents' income information. Specific information individuals need to bring includes:
- FAFSA PIN number (or students can apply for one on-site)
- Social security number (Parents’ social security numbers for dependent students)
- Driver's license
- 2013 W-2 forms and other income records
- 2013 Federal Income Tax Return
- Parents' 2013 Federal Income Tax Return (for dependent students)
- Spouse’s 2013 Income Tax Return (if married)
- 2013 untaxed income records including social security, veterans benefits, and welfare
- 2013 bank statements
- 2013 business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, and investment records
- Alien registration card for non-US citizens
College Goal Sunday is a collaborative effort among the Michigan Department of Education, the Michigan Student Financial Aid Association, and EduGuide. It is designed to increase the number of Michigan students who continue education beyond high school and earn post-secondary degrees.
Questions about College Goal Sunday and financial aid can be directed to LMC's Financial Aid office at 269-927-8112 or 1-800-252-1562 ext. 8112. To pre-register for College Goal Sunday online, visit www.lakemichigancollege.edu/cgs.