Office of Origin: Facilities Management
Date Adopted: 07-06-01
Date Reviewed: 08-13-08
Last Date Modified & Approved: 08-13-08
Lake Michigan College, consistent with what has always been its goal of providing a safe workplace, has adopted this ZERO Tolerance - workplace violence policy.
Consistent with this policy, acts or threats of physical violence, including intimidation, harassment, joking and/or coercion which involve or affect Lake Michigan College, its students, employees, or guests which occur on College property or elsewhere when in connection with their employment with Lake Michigan College will not be tolerated.
Specific examples of conduct which may be considered threats or acts of violence include, but are not limited to the following:
- Hitting or shoving an individual
- Threatening harm to an individual or his/her family, friends or associates
- The intentional damage or destruction of or threat of damage or destruction of property
- Harassing or threatening phone calls
- Harassing surveillance or stalking
- The suggestion or intimation that violence is appropriate
- Unauthorized possession or inappropriate use of firearms or weapons
Violation of this policy will lead to disciplinary action (up to and including termination) and/or legal action as appropriate.
Every Lake Michigan College student and employee is encouraged to report incidents of threats or acts of physical violence. The report may be made to the Public Safety Coordinator/Evening Administrator, the Executive Director of Facilities Management or to the individual’s immediate supervisor.
Responsibility: Executive Director, Facilities Management