Skip Navigation
  • Policies
  • >¬†¬†Residency
Printer Icon Print Page

Office of Origin: Academic Standards Committee
Date Adopted: 07-01-91
Date Reviewed: 04-09-15
Last Date Modified & Approved: 04-28-15

Policy Statement:

A student's residency for tuition purposes is determined from information provided on the Application for Admission or at the initial semester of registration for course(s). Such status, as defined below, may be reconsidered upon presentation of written proof that the student's residency has changed. The College has the right to verify a student's residency.

A. In-District Student

A citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States who is:

  • A student whose legal home of residence is within the Lake Michigan College district.
  • A student who owns , or is a documented dependent student whose parents or legal guardians own, real taxable property in the Lake Michigan College district of Berrien County, (including the Niles zip code 49120), the South Haven Public School District or Covert Township in Van Buren County.
  • Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill –Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-0/11 GI Bill), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C § 3311(b)(9)) while attending Lake Michigan College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).

B. Out-of-District Student

A citizen or eligible non-citizen of the United States who is:

  • A student who does not qualify as an In-District student as defined above is classified as an Out-of-District student.

C. International Student

A student who is:

  • Not a United States Citizen.
  • A student who has been admitted to the United States on a temporary, non-resident status is
  • classified as an International student. International students must document status or property
  • ownership prior to the first day of the semester in which the student is registered. An
  • International student may qualify for classification according to the definitions of residency above if:

1. The student holds a valid Alien Registration Receipt Card (Permanent Resident Card) or political asylum status.

2. A student owns, or a documented dependent student whose parents or legal guardians own, property within the United States.

3. The student is a longstanding area resident who graduated from a high school in the United States and can document residence for the period of at least one year immediately prior to the first day of the semester.

D. Early College Students

A student participating in Early College courses is defined as a resident as described above. However, during enrollment in an Early College course held at a high school, tuition for that course is based upon the residency of the location of the high school instead of the student’s residency.

E. Change of Status

A student who is classified as an Out-of-District or International student is eligible for review of residency status if proof of residency, as outlined below, is submitted prior to the first day of the semester in which the student is registered. Any status updates requested after the semester begins will be reviewed for subsequent semesters.

F. Documentation

The College reserves the right to require documentation acceptable to the College in all cases of residency determination and verification including, but not limited to, the following criteria: student’s current residency address and one or more of the following documents confirming that address as the legal home of residence:

  • State Driver’s License
  • State ID Card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • Military ID Card
  • Tribal Card with Address
  • Lease, Mortgage, or Rental Agreement
  • Property Tax Statement
  • Utility Bill
  • Homeowner’s or Renter’s Insurance Policy

G. Dependents

If your parents /legal guardian are property owners and you are claimed as a dependent on their Federal Income Tax return for the last calendar year, the following documents are required: Current Property Tax Bill – and - Copy of parents’/legal guardian’s Federal Income Tax return for the last calendar year showing they claimed you.

H. Senior Citizen

Senior Citizens sixty (60) years of age and over who meet In-District criteria will qualify for tuition-free enrollment in any College credited course subject to the following provisions:

  • Registration fees and special fees (if any) for courses selected must be paid by the individual enrolled.
  • All regular registration procedures will be followed.

I. Discretion to Adjunct

Discretion in adjusting individual cases within the spirit and intent of these regulations is vested with the Board of Trustees or their designee.

Responsibility: Vice President, Student Services