The William Hessel Library allows circulation of its non-reference books and audio-visuals. To check out circulating materials, a library patron must present a valid library card and/or photo ID depending on the status of the patron.
Students, faculty and staff must present a valid Lake Michigan College Student ID card to borrow materials. Library users from the community must present a MichiCard or if they are users from Andrews University, an Infopass. Siena Heights students also have borrowing privileges.
- Faculty and staff may check out an unlimited number of materials for a semester.
- Students and community users may check out five items at any one time. Items typically are checked out for two weeks with some exceptions with audio-visuals.
- Borrowing privileges are non-transferable. The card holder is responsible for any material checked out on his/her card.
- Reference materials, periodicals, and microforms do not circulate.
- Library users with overdue materials forfeit their right to check out additional materials. Grades and transcripts will be withheld for those students who have overdue materials.
- Students with late fees of over $5.00 cannot check out materials until the fees have been paid.
- For lost materials, replacement costs plus a processing fee will be charged to the borrower. Materials that are not returned within six months of the due date are considered as lost materials.
- Costs of repair for damaged materials will be charged to the borrower. If not repairable, charges will be the same as for lost materials.
- Librarians reserve the right to recall materials before the due date.
To locate items held in the William Hessel Library, search the Online Catalog. To request an item located in the Catalog, click on the "Reserve a Title" icon located on the Online Catalog. NOTE: You must first be logged in. The library will receive your request and will send the requested item(s) to the selected non-Napier Avenue Campus.
LMC students and employees needing resources not held in the William Hessel Library can request materials via Interlibrary Loan.
Materials located in the main collection are typically loaned to students or non-students with a MichiCard for a two-week period. Items on reserve (located at the Circulation Desk) are loaned for time periods designated by the instructor. Faculty and staff may check out materials for the semester; however, as a courtesy to others, faculty and staff should try to return materials as soon as they are finished using them. Reference materials are non-circulating and must be used in the library. Circulatiing videos and music compact disks can be checked out by students or non-students with a MichiCard for seven days if a DVD and 14 days if a CD. The library retains the right to recall any material before its due date if deemed necessary.
Any material may be renewed unless a hold has been placed on an item by another library patron, or the library has a need to recall the item. Items may be renewed in person or by calling the library circulation desk at (269) 927-8605. You may renew online before the due date. Log in to the library's Online Catalog and click on "Patron Menu" and then "Circulation Status." Items may be renewed twice.
Patron Rights and Responsibilities:
Patron Privacy Procedure
Patron Fine Procedure
Procedure for Lost or Damaged Library Items
Access to Other Local Libraries
A MichiCard sticker can be placed on a LMC Student ID card if he or she wishes to go to other participating MichiCard libraries to check out those libraries' materials. MichiCard is a statewide library card system designed to give Michigan residents access to library collections outside of their hometown. LMC patrons may use a Berrien Library Consortium Infopass to check out materials from the James White Library at Andrews Unversity. MichiCards and Infopasses for LMC patrons are available at the library circulation desk.
Borrowing materials from other libraries is a privilege not a right. Respecting the policies of lending libraries is very important in assuring our continued access to other libraries’ resources.