March 14, 2013
This Marks the Team’s Third Appearance in Four Years
BENTON TOWNSHIP, MI – The Lake Michigan College women’s basketball team, led by head coach and LMC athletic director Jason Cooper, will make its third appearance in four years next week at the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Division II National Tournament being held at Illinois Central College in East Peoria, IL. The fifth seeded Red Hawks will face off against twelfth seed South Suburban College (South Holland, IL) on Wednesday, March 20, at 11:00 (CST).
The Red Hawks defeated Kalamazoo Valley Community College on March 9 by a score of 71 to 60 in the NJCAA Region 12 tournament. The team finished the regular season with a record of 13-3 in conference play, and an overall record of 27-6. The team is currently ranked eleventh in the NJCAA Division II poll.
The team has received several season accolades including:
- Sophomore Breauna Rivoli-Johnson -- All Region, 1st Team All-Conference, All Defense, and MVP of the Regional Tournament
- Sophomore Gloria Jeter -- 2nd Team All-Conference, All Defense, and All Tournament Team
- Sophomore Jabria Hill -- All Region and 1st Team All-Conference
- Freshman De’Yahnna Styles -- Honorable Mention All-Conference
- Freshman Leanne Preibe -- Honorable Mention All-Conference
Head Coach Jason Cooper was recognized as NJCAA Region XII Coach of The Year, an honor which he has received three of the past four years. Coach Cooper’s overall coaching record during his six years at Lake Michigan College is 146-40.
Last year, the Red Hawks were national runners-up in the tournament. The team leaves from the College’s Napier Avenue Campus on Monday morning for Peoria, IL.