Degree or certificate progress should be tracked using Degree Works; you should also work with an Academic Advisor or Program Advisor to ensure that you are following the best pathway toward degree or certificate completion. You may graduate under the Lake Michigan College catalog in effect at the time of matriculation at Lake Michigan College or any succeeding catalog. However, no student may graduate under the requirements of a catalog that is more than 10 years old. A student who began courses at LMC prior to Fall 1998 may have the Health and Wellness requirements (PHED 200, 212, or 214) waived for the first associate's degree only. The semester credit hour(s) from this wavier must be met in another area to fulfill the total credit hours required for the degree.
Requirements that must be met include:
- Admission to Lake Michigan College.
- Bachelor Degree: Satisfactory completion of at least 120 semester hours of credit. Some programs may require more than 120 credit hours. Of these 120 or more total credit hours required for the bachelor degree, a minimum of 30 credit hours must be taken at Lake Michigan College; credits earned through CLEP credit, transfer credit (TR), prior experiential learning (PEL), articulated credit (AC), Advanced Placement (AP), or credit by examination will not be counted toward this requirement. The additional 90 or more credit hours may be fulfilled by Lake Michigan College courses*, CLEP, TR, PEL, AC, AP, and credit by examination.
Associate Degree: Satisfactory completion of at least 61 semester hours of credit. Some programs require more than 61 semester hours. Of these 61 or more total hours required for the associate degree, a minimum of 20 credit hours must be taken at Lake Michigan College. The remaining 41 or more credit hours may be from Lake Michigan College courses, CLEP credit, transfer credit (TR), prior experiential learning credit (PEL), articulated credit (AC), and credit by examination.
Certificate of Achievement: Satisfactory completion of at least 30 semester hours of credit. Some programs require more than 30 semester hours. Of these 30 or more total hours required for the Certificate of Achievement, a minimum of 15 credit hours must be taken at Lake Michigan College. The remaining 15 or more credit hours may be from Lake Michigan College courses, CLEP, TR, PEL, AC or credit by examination.
Level I Certificate: A Level I Certificate is a program with 1 to 29 credit hours that gives you the basic skills that are in demand by local employers. All of the credits can then be applied toward a Certificate of Achievement and toward the appropriate associate degree.
- Course credits earned for fulfilling the requirements of a certificate and/or an associate’s degree must be at the 100-level or above. Courses with numbers below 100 are graded but not used to compute a student’s grade point average or calculated into graduation credit hour requirements.
- A grade point average of not less than 2.00 (C).
- For associate’s degree, participate in Collegiate Assessment of Academic Proficience Outcomes Assessment Test (CAAP) as managed by the administration of the college.