The David and Barbara Whitwam Catch the Dream program, administered by Lake Michigan College, is designed to partner with students in the Benton Harbor Area Schools and their families to provide information, services, support networks, resources, and activities that will lead them to success in school and beyond.
The goals of the program are to:
- provide families with support to promote their child’s academic success.
- connect families to school and community resources to promote educational achievement.
- link families with mentors and programs that encourage positive relationships and community involvement.
- provide students with the support that will help them be successful in school.
- prepare students to enter Lake Michigan College.
- encourage parents to advance their own education.
In the spring of each year, 10 students who will be entering the 4th grade in the fall will be chosen for participation. These students and/or their parents will continue in the program until they graduate from high school, provided they remain enrolled in the BHAS. Upon high school graduation, participants will be awarded financial assistance to attend Lake Michigan College.