Skip Navigation
Printer Icon Print Page
Transfer Information

Starting at a community college prior to transferring to a four-year institution is a common strategy for students who plan to earn a bachelor degree. By doing so, students are able to save money on tuition and living expenses for the first two- to three- years of their program, complete general education requirements which will transfer to a four-year college or university, and have time to determine a specific major.

The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree programs are designed for students who plan to transfer to a four-year school. Depending upon the residency requirements at the chosen college or university, students may be able to complete up to 90 credits at a community college before transferring, leaving approximately 30 credits to be completed at the four-year school. Many colleges and universities also offer transfer opportunities for students who are pursuing applied or technical degrees from a community college.

Students planning to transfer should meet with an Academic Advisor to investigate transfer requirements and to create a Student Education Plan prior to registering for classes. Students should be aware that bachelor degree requirements vary from school to school, and that transferability is determined by the four-year college or university.

Transfering from Lake Michigan College to another college or university? Get assistance filling out your application the week of November 3, 2014.
It is important to submit your application for admissions to your transferring school early. Among other things, it gives you the best opportunities to qualify for Transfer Scholarships. Come to room L-105 between noon and 1:30 p.m., or call (269) 927-6284 to schedule an appointment, for help with filling out your application to your transferring institution.
NOTE the appropriate day for the school you are transferring to.

  • Monday, Nov. 3 – University of Michigan and Michigan State University
  • Tuesday, Nov. 4 – Ferris State University (a Ferris Representative will be here to help) and Oakland University
  • Wednesday, Nov. 5 – Western Michigan University and Grand Valley State University
  • Thursday, Nov. 6 – Any out-of-state college or university 
  • Friday, Nov. 7 – If you missed a previous session, need help with any other school, or need additional help


Request a MACRAO Transfer Agreement Evaluation.

  • Lake Michigan College is a participating member of the MACRAO Transfer Agreement. MACRAO simplifies your transfer to a Michigan College or University. Review the MACRAO Transfer Brochure.
  • The Michigan Transfer Network allows students and advisors to view transfer course equivalencies between many Michigan colleges and universities.
  • An earned Associate degree is recommended by most transfer institutions before transfer, and some transfer scholarships are only available to Associate degree holders. Students may, however, transfer courses without completing an Associate degree.


To request to have an official LMC transcript sent to a four-year college or university, please complete and submit a Transcript Request Form.

Copyright © 2014 Lake Michigan College