Free Tuition Program
Lake Michigan College is offering a free tuition program to students for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The plan covers full tuition and course fees up to 30 credit hours during the Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 semesters.
The program is open to both new and returning students who are seeking a degree, a certificate, or a short-term training program. Applicants should have a high school diploma or equivalent and complete a FAFSA. Priority will be given to those who complete the application process by Aug. 16.
This opportunity is made possible by a combination of state and federal funds and scholarships through the LMC Foundation.
To determine your eligibility for funding, you will need to complete the following steps:
- Submit a FAFSA
- If you are 25 or older and a Michigan Resident complete a Michigan Reconnect application
- Complete your Lake Michigan College's free tuition program application
If you have already registered and paid for classes for Fall 2021 a refund may be available, but the process outlined above must be completed first.
Email questions to Financial Aid at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is eligible?
Michigan residents with a high school diploma/ high school equivalency who are enrolled as a degree-seeking student or in a short-term trainings such as Truck Driving or CNA. Out of state students may be eligible for other funding opportunities.
- Who is not eligible?
Guest students, Personal Interest, dual-enrolled or early middle college students.
- How is this funded?
LMC will be utilizing federal and state dollars and programs first. For example, the Pell Grant, TIP, LMC scholarships, Frontliner and/or Michigan Reconnect would be utilized before using Federal HEERF funds
- What is funded?
15 credit hours (and the contact hours associated with those credit hours) for Fall 2021 and Spring 2022-for a total of 30 credit hours. The college will also cover course fees.
- How do students qualify?
Students who meet eligibility criteria will need to file their 2021-2022 FAFSA and work through documents required for that and complete the application for free tuition.
- How will I know if I have received free tuition-and how much it will be?
All financial aid is displayed on your financial aid summary on your student portal. Students who have complete the Free Tuition application will be notified to their LMC email account about the awards. Awards under the HEERF emergency program are not considered federal financial aid awards, but emergency assistance to students.
- What if I am in loan default?
Loan status will not prevent you from being funded. You do still need to go through the process of filing a 2021-2022 FAFSA and completing the free tuition application.
- What if my aid has been taken away due to my GPA or completion rate; or officially not meeting the Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress policy?
You still qualify for free tuition. You will still need to file your 2021-2022 FAFSA, submit any needed documents and appeal for financial aid as well as complete the free tuition application.
- What if I have past balance?
The college can assist students with paying past balances using federal dollars. Please indicate in the comment section on the Free Tuition Application you need assistance to cover a prior balance on your student account.
- If I have a major change in my family financial circumstances, may I apply for addition funds to cover my cost of attendance at LMC?
Yes, students and parents may complete the Change in Family Circumstances form which can be downloaded on the LMC website: Dependent students; Independent students.
- I am in a dual enrollment status at the college do I qualify for free tuition?
No. In order to be eligible at LMC for the free tuition program you must have completed your high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- I am a student in the Middle College program; do I qualify for free tuition?
No. In order to be eligible at LMC for the free tuition program you must have completed your high school diploma or GED equivalent
- I have a prior degree-do I qualify for free tuition?
Yes. You need to be in a degree program or a short-term training program. You will need to complete your 2021-2022 FAFSA and any needed financial aid documents as well as the free tuition application.
- How soon will I receive a notice about my eligibility for the HEERF emergency assistance to help me cover my tuition and fees?
After your FAFSA is received, and you have completed all your documents for financial aid, you will initially receive an award notification for financial aid. After your federal financial aid is determined we will review the tuition you have been assessed and determine the HEERF emergency aid to assist you with your direct cost.
- Is out-of-district tuition covered?
Yes, all tuition rates are funded as long as students meet the eligibility criteria
- Who do I contact with further questions?