Students being helped at the One-Stop

Veterans' Affairs Educational Benefits

All potential recipients of Department of Veterans’ Affairs educational benefits, whether full-time or part-time, must apply formally for admission to Lake Michigan College. Interested individuals must meet with the Certifying Official, with their discharge documents, to apply for VA education benefits.

Use the education benefits you've earned through the GI Bill
Get started on your college degree in 5 easy steps:

  1. Apply for Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits
  2. Access your educational benefits and sign up for financial aid
  3. Apply to Lake Michigan College and meet with the Certifying Official
  4. Request transcripts from the military or other institution previously attended
  5. Attend class and achieve your career and education goals
For more information, contact the certifying official for VA educational benefits in room A-216, on the Napier Avenue Campus, or call (269) 927-6181.

Veterans' Affairs Educational Benefits

Application for Benefits
If you are a full- or part-time, potential recipient of Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits, you must apply for admission to Lake Michigan College and indicate your chosen associate degree program of study. All post-secondary school transcripts should be forwarded to the Certifying Official.

Reporting of Changes

The Department of Veterans Affairs requires that, if you are receiving educational benefits, you immediately report any change in credit hour load, dependency status, address, or program of study to the Veterans Affairs advisor.

Satisfactory Progress Standing for VA Benefits

The Michigan State Approving Agency and the Department of Veterans Affairs require Lake Michigan College to establish academic progress standards for veterans and other eligible persons in order to receive Veterans Affairs educational benefits. Satisfactory academic progress is of primary concern. As an educational benefit recipient, you are considered to be making satisfactory progress if your cumulative grade point average (GPA) is 2.00 or above.

Academic Probation for VA Benefits

If, as a Veterans Affairs educational benefit recipient, your Lake Michigan College GPA drops below 2.00, you will be placed on academic probation. During the probationary period, you may continue to receive educational benefits; however, probationary status may not exceed two terms. At the end of the probationary period, if your cumulative GPA still does not meet the minimum graduation requirement of 2.00 or better, a report of unsatisfactory progress will be sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs and you will stop receiving benefits. Certification for further educational benefits will not be submitted until your cumulative GPA reaches 2.00.

If you want your certification for educational benefits reinstated, you are required to submit a written statement to the Veterans Affairs advisor, which will be forwarded to the Department of Veterans Affairs. This statement must include an explanation of how the cause of your unsatisfactory progress has been corrected.