Students being helped at the One-Stop

How to Apply for Financial Aid

It is important that you apply for financial aid early. You may only apply for financial aid once each academic year. For best consideration, your application should be on file in the Financial Aid Office by:

Fall semester March 1
Spring semester November 1
Summer term February 1




To receive financial assistance at Lake Michigan College, you must be admitted to the College. Complete the online application.

You can complete the FAFSA online. The FAFSA requires prior year income information. Instructions are provided that will tell you if you need to include your parents' income information as well. ALLOW AT LEAST TWO WEEKS FOR PROCESSING THE FAFSA. A formula established by Congress determines your financial aid eligibility. The FAFSA must be completed each year to be considered for financial aid.

Lake Michigan College has more than 100 different types of scholarships available, with more than 400 awards made each year. Complete the Lake Michigan College scholarship application online.

The Financial Aid Office may request proof of information, including copies of federal income tax returns or other household information to confirm your eligibility. An award will not be made until all required documents are turned in. Forms required by the College (other than tax returns and other personal documents) may be downloaded. All information will be considered confidential and copies will be maintained in your file for auditing purposes only.

After you have completed the previous steps, the Financial Aid Office will prepare a personalized financial aid package that may consist of grants, scholarships, and/or student employment. Students interested in student loans must initiate that process with the Financial Aid Office. An award letter including specific amounts and types of aid will be mailed to you. It is very important that you read this letter thoroughly to find out the terms of any financial aid awarded to you.

Once you complete all of the steps and have registered for classes, your financial aid will be applied to your school account. If your award does not cover the balance in full, you are responsible for paying the difference. If your award does cover your balance, but you stop attending your classes, your aid may be reduced and you will be responsible for paying any funds you were not entitled to. Questions about financial aid can be directed to the Financial Aid Office at (269) 927-8112 or by visiting the Student Services area on the Napier Avenue Campus. You can also call the Bertrand Crossing Campus at (269) 695-1391 or the South Haven Campus at (269) 637-7500.