Lake Michigan College 2016 Millage Election
Lake Michigan College is placing a capital millage proposal on the November 8, 2016 ballot. If passed, it will support capital projects that will contribute substantially to delivering an educated, well-trained workforce, more jobs and a stronger local economy.
The proposed millage rate is 0.48 for 10 years. A 0.48 millage would cost homeowners with an average market value of $100,000 about $2 each month, or $24 for the year.
A millage would help the college offset a reduction in state aid from 32% of LMC’s budget in 2001, to just 16% - the lowest on record. It would also help LMC to keep tuition low for students and families.
LMC has never had a capital millage and it’s been 20 years since LMC received a new operating millage (0.25 mills in 1996). LMC’s current millage is the 24th lowest millage among Michigan’s 28 community colleges. Even if LMC passes a new millage as proposed, the college would still rank 21st in the State.
WHAT'S A MILLAGE AND WHAT WILL IT COST ME?
• What’s LMC’s proposed capital millage and what will it cost me?
• When was LMC’s last millage? • Would a millage be used to pay debt services on a future bond?
• Why do this during the general election?
• Isn’t this kind of out of the blue?
• Can’t you just raise tuition?
• What are the alternatives to a millage?
• Have you looked into other sources of funding?
• How is the college funded, anyway?
• Is LMC a good steward of community resources?
WHO ARE THE VOTERS IN LMC’S DISTRICT?
• Will there be other millages on this ballot?
WHAT WILL THE CAPITAL MILLAGE SUPPORT?
1. Safety & Security – All Campuses
2. Modern Classrooms – All Campuses
3. Student Support Service Areas – All Campuses
4. Critical Improvements & Energy Efficiencies
• How were these projects chosen?
HOW ARE TAXPAYERS INVOLVED IN OUR PLANNING PROCESS?
• Phase I. Exploration & Outreach
• Phase II. Public Campaign
• How can I learn more or comment on the millage proposal?
HOW CAN I LEARN MORE OR COMMENT ON THE MILLAGE PROPOSAL?
• Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Lake Michigan College Capital Millage Proposal
Shall the charter tax rate limitation, previously approved by the electors of Lake Michigan College District, Michigan, for levy on all real and personal property within said District, be increased by .48 mill ($0.48 per $1,000 of taxable valuation) for a period of 10 years (2017 to 2026, inclusive), for the purpose of safety and security improvements, energy efficiency upgrades, renovation of instructional spaces, instructional technology upgrades, and other capital improvements, which if approved, is expected to raise approximately $4,364,000 in the first year (2017) of such a levy?