ORS Refund

Please submit your updated contact information.

Updated February 6, 2018

Current and former LMC employees may be eligible for a refund for contributions made to the Michigan Office of Retirement Services.

Who is eligible for a refund? 
Public school employees who were actively employed by a reporting unit of the Michigan Public School Employees Retirement System between July 2010 and September 2012 may be eligible as determined by the Michigan Office of Retirement Services. 

How much money will be refunded?
The Michigan Office of Retirement Services notified members of their refund amount by email as of January 22, 2018. If you did not receive an email, visit the ORS FAQ web page for further instructions.

Why is the refund being issued? 
When the State of Michigan enacted Public Act 75 in July 2010, it mandated that members of the Michigan Public School Employees’ Retirement System contribute 3% of their compensation to the Retiree Healthcare Fund. The act was in effect through September 2012. On December 20, 2017, the Michigan Supreme Court ruled PA 75 as unconstitutional. Now those contributions are in the process of being refunded. 

When will refunds be distributed? 
The Office of Retirement Services recently distributed funds back to school districts, which are responsible for issuing the individual refunds. LMC is now contacting eligible individuals, and urgently working through a process to record the information, submit tax documentation and distribute the funds to each eligible individual. We are confirming a timeline and will send updates to you as they develop.    

What should I do next? 
1. Submit the form below with your preferred contact information.

2. Keep an eye out for updates in your mailbox, email inbox and on this web page. 
3. Please try to be patient. We are sorting this out as quickly and efficiently as we can as we maintain the college's normal operational duties. 

Thank you, 
LMC's Human Resources Team

For more information and your refund amount
See the Michigan Office of Retirement Services FAQs. 
For other questions, please email ORSRefund@lakemichigancollege.edu