Weapons-Free College (Procedure)
Office of Origin: Facilities Management
Date Adopted: 03-24-98
Date Reviewed: 02-04-09; 08-29-18
Last Date Modified & Approved: 06-25-13; 09-12-18
- Weapons Usage
Possession of or discharging of a weapon in or outside of any building and/or structure owned, controlled, leased or located on College property is prohibited. Any student, employee or guest who carries or discharges a weapon, intentionally and/or unintentionally in any building and/or structure owned, controlled, leased or located on College property is in violation of this Procedure.
Weapons: are defined as any instruments or implements which are capable of inflicting bodily injury, and shall include but not be limited to the following:
- Any gun, rifle, firearm, BB gun, pellet gun, 3-D printed weapon, or other device (including starter gun) which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by any means.
- Any bomb, grenade, rocket or other destructive device which includes explosives, incendiaries or poison gas.
- Any knife with a blade longer than three inches, razor, or other cutting instrument, except as approved for the College’s culinary program and food service operations.
- Any striking instrument, to include clubs, iron bar, brass knuckles, blackjack or bludgeon (excluding Athletic Department equipment—i.e., baseball bats).
- Any Martial Arts weapons, to include nunchakus, tonfas, staffs, and throwing stars.
- Any bow and arrow combination.
- Any portable device or weapon from which an electrical current, impulse, wave, or beam may be directed, which current, impulse, wave, or beam is designed to incapacitate temporarily, injure, or kill.
A self-defense spray or foam device are not considered weapons subject to this procedure.
Firearm: means a weapon from which a dangerous projectile may be propelled by an explosive, or by gas or air.
Minor: means any individual of less than 18 years of age.
Pistol: means a firearm, loaded or unloaded, 26 inches or less in length, or any firearm, loaded or unloaded, that by its construction and appearance conceals it as a firearm.
Self-defense spray or foam device: means a device to which all of the following apply:
(a) The device is capable of carrying, and ejects, releases, or emits 1 of the following: (i) Not more than 35 grams of any combination of orthochlorobenzalmalononitrile and inert ingredients; (ii) A solution containing not more than 10% oleoresin capsicum; (b) The device does not eject, release, or emit any gas or substance that will temporarily or permanently disable, incapacitate, injure, or harm a person with whom the gas or substance comes in contact, other than the substance described in (a).
Responsibility: Executive Director, Facilities Management and Director, Public Safety
References: MCL 28.425