Please call (269) 927-1000 before visiting campus to be sure your needs will be met. All services are also offered remotely.
Nursing Program HESI A2 Exam Information
This page includes:
The HESI A2 is required for ALL Nursing applicants.
The TOEFL iBT test is required for non-native English speaking students only. The TOEFL iBT must be taken before the HESI A2.
The TOEFL iBT test is not available through LMC, but is available online. Online testing requires a computer with internet access and a Windows operating system. For more information or guidance on the TOEFL iBT test, contact Daniela Ortiz, ESL Director, at email@example.com.
Visit the webpage for more information and answers to frequently asked questions.
HESI A2 Registration Information
Information for Nursing Applicants preparing to take the HESI A2 admission assessment
- Create an Evolve account: See instructions below for “Registering for your HESI A2 Exam – Nursing Program”
- Set up your appointment: Once you have created an Evolve account, email the Testing Center at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain a payment ID code for the HESI A2 and set up your appointment time.
- Pay for the exam: Once you have received the payment code, login to your Evolve account, select HESI Assessment-Student access>Payments. Enter your payment ID code and billing information. The cost is approximately $50. After payment confirmation, a proof of payment statement will be displayed and stored in your account under Payment History.
- PREPARE! There are many resources you can use to study for the HESI A2. LMC students are ONLY required to take the Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocabulary, Mathematics, and Critical Thinking portions of the exam. Please focus your studies on these areas. You can purchase the HESI Study Guide.
Other free online resources include:
- Take the exam: To take the exam, follow instructions given to you by the Assessment Center after making your appointment. The Testing Center will ask you to sign and return to a form to them, and will ask you to test your computer compatibility to ensure there are not technology issues prior to testing. While Lake Michigan College response to COVID-19, all HESI A2 exams will be given remotely online using Zoom web conferencing software. Access to a computer with internet and a microphone/webcam is required. If you do not have a computer or technology to take the exam, contact the Advising Office to request a loaner laptop at email@example.com (supplies are limited).
Please be prepared for your exam at least 10 minutes before your scheduled testing time. Students must present a photo ID to test; acceptable forms include passports, drivers’ licenses, or student ID cards. Once you have checked in and logged in to the exam, you will have access to the entire HESI A2 exam, but you only need to take the Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Vocabulary, Mathematics, and Critical Thinking portions of the exam.
The exam is not timed, but it may take you approximately 3 hours to complete the exam, so plan accordingly.
What is the minimum score required for Nursing?
- Reading, Grammar, and Vocabulary: 75 minimum
- Mathematics: 75 minimum
- Critical Thinking: no minimum score, but scoring higher will make you more competitive
Students will be able to see their score immediately after completing the exam. Scores will be entered in to the system by the Testing Center shortly after exam completion.
Didn’t receive the score you expected and want to know how to improve or where to study more? Students can access remediation information in their Evolve accounts within 48 hours of exam completion.
Can I retake the exam?
Yes. If you did not meet the minimum score of 75 in either section of the HESI A2 (Reading, Grammar, and Vocabulary, or Mathematics), you may re-take the exam. Students have two attempts at the HESI A2. Students must wait 60 days between these two attempts and are strongly encouraged to study and review remediation information in their Evolve accounts.
If you do not meet the minimum score requirements within two attempts, you must wait one calendar year from the last exam date to retest. Students must pay the full fee for the HESI A2 each time they take the exam.
See the HESI A2 Testing and Retest Policy at the end of this document for detail.
If I passed the HESI A2 in the past, do I have to take it again?
HESI A2 exam scores taken at LMC are valid for 5 years from the date they were taken. If a student took the HESI A2 at another institution, they must take it again at LMC for admission into the nursing program.
I learned English as a Second Language – what else do I need to do?
Students who learned English as a Second Language or are non-native English speakers MUST take the TOEFL iBT Test before they take the HESI A2. The TOEFL iBT requires a minimum overall score of 84, and a minimum speaking subscore of 26. More details about the TOEFL iBT can be found on the website, or through the Health Sciences Office. All TOEFL iBT scores must be submitted to Lake Michigan College DIRECTLY from ETS.
Are accommodations available for the HESI A2 Exam?
Upon request, students with disabilities, with documentation on file in the Student Outreach and Support Services Office, will be provided special testing accommodations. Please contact the Testing Center to confirm accommodations once you have made your testing appointment. Students may request disability-related test accommodations through the Student Outreach and Support Services Office at (269) 927-8866.
Registering for your HESI A2 Exam
On the Evolve website, select "I’m a student."
Select "Register for Results and Remediation."
You may be taken to a page where you need to add information about your account. When you complete that account information and submit, you will be back to the "My Cart" page.
When you select "Checkout/Redeem" for the second time, you will see the information box that confirms there will be a HESI Assessment section in your Content List.
Go back to My Evolve. You will now see "HESI Assessment" in "My Content."
Select "Student Access."
Select the "Payment tab." Use the payment ID code given to you by the Testing Center to continue.
Enter your payment method and complete the remainder of the information to purchase.
HESI A2 Testing and Retest Policy
Students are encouraged to take the HESI A2 at least one (1) semester before applying to the program to allow enough time for remediation and re-testing if necessary. The HESI A2 exam MUST be completed before the posted Program Application deadlines:
- May 12 for Fall Cohort consideration (September program start)
- September 12 for Spring Cohort consideration (January program start)
Students have two (2) attempts at the HESI A2 in one calendar year. There is a 60 day waiting period between attempts. If a student does not meet the minimum required scores in two (2) attempts, they may re-test after one (1) calendar year from the last exam date.
Passing scores are valid for five (5) years from the exam date.
The Mathematics portion of the HESI A2 is required for all students applying to Fall 2020 and onward. If a student never took the Math portion of the exam, they have two attempts to meet the minimum score. If they are not successful within two attempts, the student must wait one calendar year from the last exam date to re-test. Students do not need to repeat the other portions of the HESI A2 if scores are within five years and meet the minimum score requirement.
If a student meets the minimum score in one portion of the exam, but not the other (for example, a student successfully completes the Mathematics portion, but does not meet the score of 75 minimum on the Reading, Grammar, and Vocabulary section) they may re-take the portion of the exam where they were not successful. This will count as a repeat and the fall under one-year wait period. Remediation is strongly encouraged.
If you have questions about the testing process or the HESI A2 exam, please contact: