Experiencing difficulty in class? Want to learn more about how to learn? Need assistance to get through a tough exam or adjust to being back in school?
Tutoring is available free of charge to all Lake Michigan College students. To request tutoring services, complete a Tutoring Request. If you need help for writing, please contact the Writing Lab. Students seeking help with nursing coursework should email the nursing department at email@example.com for further information.
Tutoring offers help with homework, test preparation, studying and test strategies. Our tutors are certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
Tutoring is available face-to-face at Benton Harbor and Niles campuses. Online tutoring is available through Zoom meetings. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Tutors are available for most classes offered, and every effort will be made to locate a tutor for courses requested if one is not already on staff.
To find out more about the available tutoring services, call (269) 927-8750 or e-mail us.
There are three methods to access tutoring assistance.
- Tutors have Zoom hours scheduled as shown on the Zoom Tutoring Schedule. These rooms are available via Zoom, and the individual tutor's current meeting IDs are available on the Zoom schedule.
- Tutors are available for face-to-face tutoring at the Benton Harbor and Niles campuses. No appointments needed. Tutoring schedules are available for the current and following week. The face-to-face Benton Harbor Tutoring Schedule updates as tutors’ schedules change, so check the schedule before traveling to campus for tutoring.
- Click the Help link in the left-hand Canvas navigation bar to see the link to NetTutor. This link provides access to professional tutors – in many cases with 24/7 availability. These non-LMC tutors are available FREE to all students through LMC's partnership with NetTutor.
If you would like more information about any of these services, contact us at email@example.com, call (269) 927-8750 or visit Tutoring Services in room L190, located in the Library on the Benton Harbor Campus.
Becoming a Tutor
Do you like helping people learn? Looking for part-time work with a big impact? Do you have recent upper-level math and/or science background? We have openings on our professional tutoring team for upper-level math and science tutors with a bachelor's degree or higher. Please apply online anytime!
We are also hiring for Peer Tutors! Apply online.
- A or B in subject you want to tutor or equivalent experience
- 3.0 or above GPA
- Complete job application packet
- Like to help others
- An instructor referral is preferable
Tutors are expected to act as role models for students by regularly attending their own classes, practicing successful study habits, maintaining a positive learning attitude and completing their own tutoring-related documentation as required..
All tutors are required to complete Level I of the CRLA Training within their first term of employment. This consists of ten hours of paid training in a variety of topics related to tutoring, including but not limited to:
- study skills
- customer service
- learning disabilities
- required paperwork and procedures
- tutoring specific coursework
- diversity issues
Tutors are given 16 weeks after becoming employed to complete Level I certification and will be paid for the 10 hours upon completion of the training.
Helpful Links and Resources
This page has been designed to provide you with resources to improve your skills and success at Lake Michigan College. Under each subject, you will find educational links to helpful sites.
- This site offers videos and learning tips of all kinds: Khan Academy
- Find your learning strengths
- Study Tips
- Lake Michigan College Writing Lab
Free help for LMC students to take ideas, notes or drafts to a finished assignment.
- Math.com - The World of Math Online
- Word Problems
- Algebra help
- Study Tips (pdf)
- Math Handouts