Skip to main content

Credit for Experiential Learning

Students may receive college credit through high school advanced placement courses, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), educational experiences in the armed forces, prior experiential learning credit, high school articulation credit, and transfer credit. Learn more below about college credit for experiential learning.

Transcripts and Other Documents

In most cases, you will need to submit high school or college transcripts or other documentation. Please be sure to request the official documentation, such as official transcripts from your institution. We are unable to accept unofficial or "delivered to student" transcripts.

Credit for Experiential Learning, Advanced Testing, and Workplace Experience

Lake Michigan College recognizes the College Board Advanced Placement Program (APP). College course credit may be granted if you have participated in the APP through your high school. For advanced placement consideration, you must pass the Advanced Placement examinations with a score of three or higher and submit a College Action Report to the Records Office.

An “N” grade will be assigned and is not included in GPA calculation.

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP), sponsored by the College Entrance Examination Board, affords students and prospective students the opportunity to demonstrate academic proficiency at the freshman/sophomore college level in specific subject areas. (While CLEP does offer general examinations, Lake Michigan College does not accept these examinations for college credit.) The specific subject area examinations measure factual knowledge and understanding, as well as the ability to see relationships and apply principles to new problems. They are essentially end-of-course tests developed for widely-taught undergraduate courses. CLEP is given in the Assessment Center, located in room B200/202 on the Napier Avenue Campus. For further information, review the CLEP Information Sheet or call (269) 927-6173.

You can receive up to 30 semester credit hours toward an associate’s degree for successful completion of selected College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Subject Examinations. CLEP examinations on which you have earned the American Council on Education (ACE) recommended pass score are eligible for review. You will be given credit toward graduation for the Lake Michigan College courses listed in the current college catalog that are equivalent to the CLEP examinations you have successfully completed.

An “N” grade will be assigned and is not included in GPA calculation.

Other areas to note:

  • Foreign language credit will be awarded solely on the basis of the results of the CLEP examinations and these rules, regardless of your native language.
  • General examinations are not acceptable for transfer credit.
  • If you have earned credit for a higher level class at Lake Michigan College and successfully complete a CLEP examination for a lower level course, that credit will NOT be applicable toward transfer credit or graduation credit.

For further information regarding CLEP credit, contact a Student Services academic advisor.

If you are a veteran of the United State armed forces, you can be awarded college credit for the service schools you attended and for your work experience while in the U.S. military. The College awards credit based on recommendations provided by the American Council on Education. Copies of your training certificates and a certified copy of your DD-214 must be given to the Records Office for evaluation.

Veterans who have successfully completed courses through the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) can be awarded college credit. To be eligible, you need to submit your official transcripts and test scores for evaluation to the Records Office.

If you are enrolled in one of several Career Education programs at the College, you may be able to receive credit for experiential learning. You will be asked to demonstrate your experience and skill level through written, oral, performance, or combination examinations that may include a portfolio.

  1. You must be admitted to Lake Michigan College to apply for credit for prior experiential learning.
  2. You must complete the “Prior Experiential Learning Credit Request" form.
  3. You must schedule the appropriate amount of time with the examiner and complete the assessment as stipulated for the course(s) for which credit is sought. A fee is charged for each course. The fee is paid to the Business Office when the examination has been passed successfully and before credit is posted to the transcript.
  4. Credit is indicated on the transcript as prior experiential learning credit, the equivalent course and number, and the number of semester hours accepted. An “N” grade is assigned to PEL credits.
  5. Grades and honor points are not given; therefore, credit for prior experiential learning does not affect the grade point average. An “N” grade will be assigned to Prior Experiential learning credits.
  6. Prior Experiential Learning credit is accepted at Lake Michigan College but may not be transferable to other institutions. If you intend to transfer to another college or university, you should discuss the ramifications of such credit with a Lake Michigan College academic or faculty advisor.

Please contact with any questions.

Lake Michigan College has articulation agreements with many schools and career/technical centers in Berrien, Van Buren, Ottawa, and Allegan counties in Michigan and in St. Joseph County in Indiana. Classes included in the articulation agreements are courses that are taught in high schools or career/technical centers by high school teachers and have a curriculum similar to an existing class at Lake Michigan College.

If you have taken one of these classes during your high school career, you may be able to earn articulated credit at Lake Michigan College. However, if you plan to transfer to a four-year college or university, you should discuss the transferability of articulated credit with a Lake Michigan College academic or faculty advisor since this type of credit may not be transferable to other institutions. For further information, contact your high school counselor, the Lake Michigan College Admissions Office, your high school career tech instructor, or the Dean of Career & Technical Education at Lake Michigan College.

If you are coming to Lake Michigan College from another college or university, you may receive a maximum of 120 credits. College coursework completed with a grade of “C” (2.0) or higher at accredited, post-secondary institutions, which must be accredited by one of the regional accrediting bodies, to be considered for transfer. If you want prior coursework reviewed for possible transfer credit, apply for admission to Lake Michigan College and have an official transcript of your previous academic transcripts sent to the Records Office. Only courses completed with a grade of 2.0 or better on a 4.0 scale will be considered for transfer.

Back to Top Apply Now