Lake Michigan College welcomes students from around the world
LMC is a source of education, a cultural center, a regional economic partner and a leader in diversity and innovation. International students enjoy special assistance from the International Students Office.
Who is an International Student?
The College defines an international student as a non-United States (U.S.) citizen residing or intending to reside as a non-immigrant in the United States for the purposes of obtaining an academic degree conferred by the College; i.e. those seeking an F1 student visa.
How to Apply
Submit all documentation to: Lake Michigan College International Student Office, 2755 E. Napier Avenue, Benton Harbor, MI 49022.
Step 1: Apply
International students seeking admission to Lake Michigan College must apply by July 1 for the Fall semester, November 1 for the Spring semester, and March 1 for the Summer term to issue the necessary documents required to apply for a student visa.
COMPLETE A FREE APPLICATION
- Once you apply, you will receive an email to let you know your application was received and that a member of our admissions team will be in touch.
- APPLY NOW for free
Step 2: Submit Academic Records
Have your secondary school transcripts or certificate and any prior college transcripts evaluated and submitted to the International Students Office. See the Transcript Evaluation section below for more information.
Step 3: Proof of Language Proficiency
Proficiency in the English language is required. The applicant must submit proof of ONE of the following:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Test with a minimum score of 500 on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test, or 59-60 TOEFL iBT for academic admission.
- Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency (MTELP): a minimum score of 75 is required.
- Transferable English Composition Course: must be completed at a US college or university with a minimum grade of "C".
- Native English Speaker: documented by high school Transcript/Certificate/ Reports.
Step 4: Financial Verification
Applicants must be financially self-supporting while studying in the U.S. Students must provide both:
- Proof of having U.S. dollars to meet the “Lake Michigan College Minimum Cost of Living Estimate.” This must be documented on the “Declaration of Finances Form.” The sponsor of the student must provide a bank statement that testifies to the sponsor’s willingness and ability to support the student while he/she attends Lake Michigan College.
- A one-time deposit, which will be collected before an international student is admitted to the College for the first time.This required deposit will be made in accordance with the International Student Deposit Policy below.
Step 5: Apply for a Visa
Upon completion of the steps listed above, international student applicants will receive a letter of acceptance, a Form I-20, and copies of the Declaration of Finances Form. The letter of acceptance, Form I-20, a valid passport, and Declaration of Finances Form must be presented to the U.S. Embassy/Consulate abroad to apply for an F-1 student visa.
Ready to get started?
Connect with us! Request more information or apply today, and we'll send you everything you need to begin your journey at LMC.