Skip to main content
Grants and Waivers

Grants and Waivers


The level of funding and amount of grants can vary from year to year. In most cases, the amount of the grant is split between fall and spring semesters. Students must reapply for grants and meet the eligibility criteria each year.

Students must meet financial need requirements and the student must:

  • have a GED or a High School diploma
  • be accepted to an eligible program of study
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • be enrolled at least half-time
  • maintain standards of satisfactory academic progress
  • not be in default on a federal loan or owe money to the Department of Education
  • pass all U.S. Department of Education matches and edits (includes things such as Selective Service registration, unusual enrollment history, and other regulatory requirements)

The Federal Pell Grant program is available to undergraduate students who meet the eligibility requirements based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If the student qualifies for a Pell grant, award levels can change from semester to semester based on the student’s enrollment. Eligible students may receive a Federal Pell Grant when enrolled for at least one credit hour per semester. The Pell Grant Chart shows eligibility for Pell Grant funds by enrollment and estimated family contribution (EFC):


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a federal grant offered to undergraduate students who show exceptional financial need as determined by the FAFSA. Due to limited funds, SEOG is awarded on first-come, first-serve basis.

Indian Tuition Waiver covers tuition costs for Michigan residents who are Native Americans with one quarter or more quantum blood certified by their tribe. Students will still be responsible for fees. Application materials and further information can be found online.

Michigan Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) pays tuition and a portion of fees (up to $250 per semester) for up to 24 credit hours each academic year for those who qualify. Students who qualify for TIP received Medicaid for 24 consecutive months within a 36 month period as identified by the Department of Human Services (formerly known as Family Independence Agency). The application must be made prior to high school graduation or receiving a GED certificate. For more information, contact the Office of Scholarships and Grants at (888) 447-2687 or via e-mail at

The Children of Veterans Tuition Grant provides assistance to students aged 16 to 26 who had a parent who was killed in action, missing in action or suffered total, permanent disability as a result of the parent’s service in the U.S. Armed Forces. For more information, contact the Office of Scholarships and Grants at (888) 447-2687 or via e-mail at

Veterans Administration Educational Benefits are available to eligible veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces. Contact the Lake Michigan College VA Coordinator at (269) 927-8100, ext. 6181 for further information regarding this program.

Back to Top Apply Now