CLEP Information Sheet
For Students Making CLEP Appointments at Lake Michigan College
1. Prepare for your exam: See info at https://clep.collegeboard.org/started
2. Current fee information is found at the above site; as of Summer 2019, CLEP charges $89 per test, and LMC charges $25 to administer the test.
3. You can purchase a review or borrow one from a public library; be sure to use a CLEP Official Study Guide.
4. Be sure you are selecting the correct test for the course credit you want; check with an advisor at the college you want to receive your CLEP transcript to verify which test you will need to purchase. The test you purchase is the one the CLEP system will provide for you. The Testing Center has no control over this.
5. Register and pay for your CLEP test online at the CLEP website.
6. Important: Make sure the first and last names and middle initial in the test registration match identically with the IDs you will bring to the exam appointment.
7. Call at least 48 hours in advance to schedule your CLEP test administration with the Assessment Center staff; you *may* use the seat reservation system, but you must call to verify that we know you are coming because of test setup requirements.
8. If you are not a former or current LMC student, please call for an appointment.
9. Note or print your registration number and bring it with you; a printout is best.
10. Bring the form(s) of ID specified by CLEP. Please see the CollegeBoard website to see what forms of ID are acceptable; this is also where you will find the link to the CLEP student ID form.
11. Pay for the test administration in the Cashier office on the Benton Harbor Campus or you may call 269-927-8610 to pay over the phone..
12. Bring your registration form to your test appointment.
13. Plan to start your test at least 2 ½ to 3 hours prior to center closing.
14. During the beginning of the test time, you will complete your registration.
15. Your transcript (for all tests EXCEPT College Composition with Essays, which takes 3 to 6 weeks because of the essay grading) will arrive at your chosen college within 7-14 business days.
16. If you did not pass the test, you may retest after three months (CLEP policy).
17. You may take as many different CLEP tests as you like during any period of time; however, you should verify how many CLEP credits would be accepted by your selected college before you take any exams.
18. Extra CLEP transcripts have a cost – usually around $20 each – so you should have the information with you for the primary college you want to receive your transcript. Colleges not listed in the CLEP system can receive your transcript via a form that is completed after your test, on the same day, before you leave the testing center.