LMC's Career Services provides assistance to job seekers as well as local employers. Students and alumni should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance. Local employers can email email@example.com for information on upcoming job fairs and for information on posting jobs on Handshake
The Earn & Learn Internship Program is funded by a $500,000 gift from the Whirlpool Foundation. This program accepts employer applications in the fall in order to provide a list of opportunities at the start of the spring semester. Qualified students apply directly to the employer in the spring for internship employment in the summer.
All Internship Opportunities for 2024 will be posted on Handshake by January 16, 2024 in order for students to research their interests and possibilities. Student applications to be accepted into the Program will open on January 16, 2024. Students accepted into the program will begin to apply directly to employers via Handshake beginning January 31, 2024. We highly recommend applying early in order to have the best chance of securing the internship position you desire. Although there is no deadline, positions will only remain open until filled or funds are exhausted.
Qualifying criteria for students include:
- Completed one academic semester or earned at least 12 credit hours and are currently enrolled for at least 12 credit hours in the spring 2024 semester. If a transfer student, they must have transferred 12 credit hours and be enrolled for at least 12 credit hours in the spring 2024 semester at Lake Michigan College.
- Earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
- Having an activated account on Handshake with a completed profile and uploaded resume.
- One letter of recommendation from a Lake Michigan College faculty or staff member.
- Have a FASFA on file.
- Agree to track their internship using the Experience Module in Handshake.
- Attend 2 Earn & Learn 2024 Internship Cohort sessions, one at the beginning of the program and the second midway through the Earn & Learn program.
How Are Students Selected and Hired?
- Employers submit applications to Career Services by January 8, 2024.
- Employers accepted into the program post Internship positions on Handshake by January 15, 2024.
- Students apply to the Earn & Learn Internship program via Handshake starting January 16, 2024.
- Once accepted into the program, students apply directly to employers via Handshake, for specific Internship Opportunities, starting January 31, 2024.
- Employers will review applications and contact students directly for interviews.
- Students may accept more than one interview to increase their chances of receiving an offer.
- Employers select a student and verify eligibility and funding with Career Services.
- Employers extend an offer of internship employment to the chosen applicant.
- Students may only accept one internship offer but it is the offer of his/her choosing.
- Once the offer is accepted, the student will be hired as a regular employee of the company for the duration of the internship.
Employers interested in participating in the Earn & Learn Internship Program can find out more here.
If you have questions or need more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (269)927-6596.