Skip to main content
Beckwith hall in summer

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the qualifications to live at Beckwith Hall?
A: See the Criteria to be Eligible below for On-Campus Residence Hall Living.

Here's how to live at Beckwith Hall.

  1. Apply for free to Lake Michigan College.
  2. Apply for housing and pay the $30 application fee to the Business Office.
    • The application fee is used to run a background check  
  3. Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 
    • Many students apply for federal aid to help pay housing, tuition, books and other college expenses. Use our school code, 002277, when you apply. International students and those not completing a FAFSA should contact the Housing Office.
    • Need more help paying for college? Check out our scholarships.
  4. Be a full-time student and keep your grades up.
    • Beckwith Hall residents should be able to enroll in 12 or more credits. Students may be asked to take placement tests to determine course placement and ability to enroll.
    • Once you live in Beckwith, maintain at least a 1.75 – 2.0 GPA depending on how many credits you earn, and complete 67% of the credit hours you attempt.

Here's how to apply for housing.

  1. Apply for housing and pay a $30 application fee to the Business Office.
    • The application fee is used to run a background check.
  2. Be in good academic standing.
    • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, at least a 1.75 - 2.0 GPA, depending on how many credits you complete, and complete 67% of the credit hours you attempt.
  3. Be in good financial standing. 
    • Unpaid college expenses, including library fees or holds, must be paid before you're accepted into Beckwith Hall.
  4. Be a good neighbor.
    • Review the Student Code of Conduct and the Housing Handbook. Any college conduct issues could affect your eligibility. 

Let us know! We are happy to talk about whether Beckwith Hall is a good fit for you now or to help plan for a future semester.

Call/text: (269) 927-8190


Visit: Learn more at the LMC housing website.

Q: What if I don’t know anyone to share my suite with? 
A: You do not need to know someone to sign a Residential Housing Agreement to live at Beckwith Hall on the Napier Avenue Campus of Lake Michigan College. We match you with other students who are also looking for suitemates. It is a great way to meet people and make new friends. 

Q: Will there be Resident Assistants in the building? 
A: Staff members will reside in Beckwith Hall, including a manager and Resident Assistants. These employees will be available at various times to help residents and provide activities throughout your residency. 

Q: What happens if my suitemate moves out? Am I responsible for their rent? 
A: If your suitemate moves out, you will probably be assigned another person. If this happens, however, you will not be responsible for their rent. You are only responsible for your own rent payments while living in Beckwith Hall. 

Q: What are the sizes of the rooms? 
A:The four-bedroom suite is approximately 1,000 square feet of living area shared between the four residents. Each person has a private bedroom and shares the rest of the space – living room, kitchen and bathrooms. The two-bedroom suite is approximately 500 square feet of living space shared between the two residents. Each person has a private bedroom and shares the rest of the space – living room, kitchen and bathroom. 

Q: What safety measures will be in place for residents? 
A: The building was built and designed with necessary components to provide a comfortable living experience. A card access system is employed at the main entry of the building and no one may enter Beckwith Hall without a resident access card. Closed-circuit security cameras are also located throughout the building and at access points. 

Q: What technology will be available to residents? 
A: Residents will be able to take advantage of the following in their suites and/or building: 

  • Flat screen 42 Inch smart TV with an Internet connection. Supports virtual cable subscriptions (Netflix, etc.) and Internet browsing.
  • Wired Network Connections in every room for connecting your laptop or gaming system. WIFI Network connections (includes WIFI AC standard for gigabit connectivity).
  • Access to the College’s Virtual PC lab from the smart TV or your own laptop.
  • Weather Alert System. Outdoor WIFI.

Study area specific technology includes:

  • Flat screen TVs with laptop connections for group study sessions.
  • Cable TV for special events.
  • Wired and WIFI network connections

Q: Will the cost be covered by financial aid?
A: If a student is attending Lake Michigan College, any financial aid (i.e. grants, loans, scholarships, etc.) that is remaining after LMC tuition and fees are paid will go toward paying the Residence Hall cost. This cost will be reflected on the student’s LMC bill. Any portion of the housing costs that is not paid by financial aid will be an out-of-pocket cost for the student. For additional information regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Office by email or at (269) 927-8112

Q: What is the difference between “submitting an application” and “signing a Residential Housing Agreement?” 
A : When you submit an application, you are letting Student Housing know that you are interested in living at Beckwith Hall at Lake Michigan College. There is no official or binding agreement between you and LMC with just your application. Fees associated with your application are non-refundable and non-transferable. When you sign a Beckwith Hall Residential Housing Agreement, you are signing a legally-binding contract to reside in Beckwith Hall for the full term of the Agreement, clearly listed on the Agreement. If, during your occupancy, you cannot meet the requirements of the Beckwith Hall Student Housing Contract you signed, you must submit a Petition for License Agreement Cancellation form to the Housing Office immediately. Review the Beckwith Hall Student Housing Contract very carefully with anyone you need to consult about your decision, such as your parent or guardian.

Q: What is provided in the suites? 
A: Resident rooms will have: twin xl bed, desk and chair, chest of drawers, built-in closets, individually controlled heat and air-conditioning, Ethernet connection and wi-fi. Suites will have: sofa, coffee table, end table, lamp, wall-mounted internet flat-screen TV, Controllable heat and air-conditioning, Ethernet connection and wi-fi. Kitchens have: upper and lower cabinets, countertop, dishwasher, full-size refrigerator, microwave, stove and oven, dining table and chairs and washer/dryer. In addition to a shower and toilet, bathrooms include vanities with double sinks and full mirrors.

Back to Top Apply Now