Skip to main content

Residency (Policy)

Office of Origin: Records & Registration Department
Responsibility: Vice President, Student Affairs
Date Adopted: 07-01-91
Date Reviewed: 08-27-19, 9-28-21, 3-29-22
Last Date Board Approved: 04-28-15, 12-04-18, 08-27-19, 3-29-22

A Lake Michigan College (the College) student's initial residency for tuition purposes is determined based on information provided on the admission application. Residency, as defined below, may be reconsidered upon presentation of documentation, as defined in sections E and F below, that the student's residency has changed. The College has the right to verify a student's residency at any time.

  1. In-District

    1. A student who is a U.S. citizen, permanent resident (green card or resident alien card holder), or DACA/Dreamer and is:

      • A resident within the College district (Berrien County, [including the Niles zip code 49120], the South Haven Public School District or Covert Township in Van Buren County).
      • Any individual eligible for educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty Program), Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), Chapter 35 (Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program), of Title 38, United States Code, or Chapter 1606 of Title 10 U.S.C (Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve), and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C § 3311(b)(9)) while attending the College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence).
    2. A resident of on-campus housing, regardless of citizenship.
      1. Students living on campus during consecutive Fall and Spring semesters will receive in-district tuition rates for the Summer term immediately following, regardless of whether they are living on campus during the summer term.
  2. Out-of-District
    A student who does not qualify as an in-district student as defined above and is not an international student as defined in section C below, is classified as an out-of-district student. 
  3. International
    A student who is a non-U.S. citizen, except those noted in section A, and is attending the College on an F1, M1, or any other visa type or is undocumented is classified as international, for tuition rate purposes only.
  4. Early College Students
    A student participating in Early College courses is defined as a resident as described above. However, during enrollment in an Early College course, tuition for that course is based upon the residency of the location of the high school instead of the student’s residency.
  5. Change of Status
    A student who is classified as an out-of-district or international student is eligible for review of residency status if proof of residency, as outlined below and in Section F of this policy, is submitted prior to the first day of the semester in which the student is registered or intends to register. Any status updates requested after the semester begins will be reviewed for subsequent semesters. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the Records & Registration Office prior to the start of the semester of any change in residence or status that would affect their classification.
  6. Documentation
    The College reserves the right to require documentation acceptable to the College in all cases of residency determination and verification including, but not limited to, the following criteria: student’s current residency address and one or more of the following documents confirming that address as the legal home of residence:

    • Valid state driver’s license Valid state ID card 
    • Valid motor vehicle registration in student’s name (car insurance and car title are not acceptable)
    • Voter registration card
    • Military ID card
    • Tribal card with address
    • Lease, mortgage, or rental Agreement
    • Property tax bill (must be a place of residence or property)
    • Utility bill
    • Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy
    • Notarized statement verifying residency signed by parent(s) if student is still in high school, accompanied by parent’s proof of residency or by current high school record (e.g., high school transcript or current report card in student’s name and address).
  7. Dependents
    A student may use their parent or legal guardian’s residency for tuition purposes if they were claimed as a dependent on the parent/guardian’s Federal income tax return for the last calendar year. Documentation of the following is required to do so: parent/guardian’s current property tax bill and copy of parents’/legal guardian’s Federal income tax return for the last calendar year showing the student claimed as a dependent.
  8. Senior Citizen
    Senior citizens 60 years of age and older who meet in-district criteria will qualify for tuition-free enrollment in any College credit course subject to the following provisions:

    • The student must be at least 60 years of age prior to the first day of the semester in which the student is registered.
    • Registration fees and special fees (if any) for courses selected must be paid by the student. All regular registration procedures must be followed.
  9. Discretion to Adjunct
    Discretion in adjusting individual cases within the spirit and intent of these regulations is vested with the Board of Trustees or their designee.

References: GI Bill

Back to Top Apply Now