Skip to main content

Lake Michigan College seeking businesses to participate in 2024 Earn & Learn Internship Program

Local businesses can hire Summer interns thanks to Lake Michigan College’s Earn & Learn Internship Program. 

Funded by a $500,000 gift from Whirlpool Corporation and the Whirlpool Foundation and administered by LMC Career Services, the program matches student interns with local businesses for a career-building experience.   

The program provides up to 80 percent of an employee's pay at $16 per hour for up to 20 hours a week over 12 weeks. Employers are responsible for the remaining 20 percent and any hours over 20 per week. Employers can choose to pay more than $16 per hour or offer students employment beyond the 12-week program at their own expense.   

“This is a great opportunity for our students and local employers,” LMC’s Career Development Coordinator Kathi Szabo said. “It helps students get valuable experience in their chosen career field while helping employers fill a need that they might not otherwise be able to offer during the Summer months.”   

Employers accepted into the program must be in the Benton Harbor/St. Joseph area and provide meaningful and practical work related to the student’s field of study or career interest. The internship shall integrate knowledge learned in the classroom with practical application and skill development.  

To participate in the program, businesses must apply by Jan. 8, 2024. Students will be able to apply directly through LMC's career platform, Handshake. Employers can hire the candidate of their choice after student eligibility is confirmed. 

To learn more about Earn & Learn and how your company can participate, contact Kathi Szabo at or 269-927-6596. 

For more information, visit 

Earn and Learn Program

Media Contact

Jeremy D. Bonfiglio
Marketing & Communications Specialist
Lake Michigan College
Back to Top Apply Now