Skip to main content
Students and staff in meeting room

Earn & Learn for Employers

LMC's Career Services provides assistance to job seekers as well as local employers. Students and alumni should contact for assistance. Local employers can email for information on upcoming job fairs and for information on posting jobs on College Central. 

The Earn & Learn Program is funded by a $500,000 gift from the Whirlpool Foundation. The program was established during the Lake Michigan College Fulfill the Dream Advancement Campaign and is administrated by LMC through Career Services.

The program is designed to connect LMC students with local businesses that offer and support student internship programs. 


The goals of the Earn & Learn Program are to:

  • Help students gain hands-on experience through a summer internship in their chosen field.
  • Provide businesses with a source of staff at minimal cost.
  • Attract students to the College who seek to advance their education and career skills simultaneously.
  • Encourage students to remain with a business and in the area following graduation. 
  • Foster education and training partnerships between the College and local businesses and non-profit organizations.  

The annual allocation from the endowment will provide 80% of up to $16 per hour pay rate for the student interns, for 20 hours a week over a period of 12 weeks. The remaining 20% of the student’s pay is to be assumed by the employer. Any additional weekly hours are assumed by the Employer.

Students can learn more about the program and apply here.

Qualifying Criteria

To be considered for the Earn and Learn Internship Program, sponsored by the Whirlpool Foundation:

Student Interns must:

  • Have completed one academic year or earned at least 24 credit hours and earned a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 or if a transfer student, completed one semester at Lake Michigan College.    
  • Be enrolled no later than April 17, 2023, for the following fall semester at Lake Michigan College, or complete a co-op requirement for graduation. In co-op cases, students must make arrangements with the appropriate faculty member and the Dean, Career & Workforce Education.   
  • Approved resume and cover letter uploaded with the application.   
  • One letter of recommendation from a Lake Michigan College faculty or staff member uploaded with the application. 
  • Demonstrate financial need for the following academic year by April 17, 2023.
  • Attended one Career Services Workshop or met with the Career Development Coordinator individually. 
  • Complete and submit their application no later than April 17, 2023. 

Employers must:

  • Complete and submit a signed application to the Career Services office at by March 31, 2023.
  • Interview intern applicants as they are identified. 
  • Submit a job offer to the student no later than April 27, 2023. 

How are students selected?

  • Students must submit their resume and cover letter the Career Services office at and must have attended one of the Career Services Workshops or met with Career Services individually.
  • Career Services and Financial Aid will confirm student eligibility.  
  • Career Services will notify businesses of acceptance into the program, student candidate availability and the amount of funds available for student salaries.
  • Students from the City of Benton Harbor will be given first preference.  
  • The pool may be expanded when/if the original student candidates are not selected by any business.  
  • The College provides businesses with Earn & Learn candidates’ resumes.
  • The businesses arrange interviews with candidates of interest.  
  • The business extends offers of employment to student(s).  
  • Students may accept more than one interview, but may only accept one position, and may accept the offer of his/her choosing.  

Can a company retain a student for more than 12 weeks?

Yes, however, after 12 weeks the company is responsible for all wages and benefits.

Can a company pay more or less than $16 per hour?

Yes, however, if wages paid are less than $16 per hour the program will only reimburse the company for 80% of the hourly amount actually paid, with an hourly wage cap of $16 per hour.

When would students be available to start work?

May 1 or negotiable between employer and intern; please inform Career Services of exact start and end dates.

Is the student an employee of the College or the company?

Once hired a student is considered an employee of the company and subject to all the policies, rules and regulations of your organization and any applicable federal, state or local laws and ordinances. 

How can my company participate in the Whirlpool Earn and Learn program?

Complete the application.

Email or call (269) 927-6596 with any questions or for more information.

Back to Top Apply Now