Please wear a mask on campus regardless of your vaccination status.
Experiencing difficulty in class? Want to learn more about how to learn? Need assistance to get through a tough exam or adjust to being back in school?
Tutoring is available free of charge to all Lake Michigan College students in courses at LMC campuses. To request tutoring services, fill out, save, and email the Tutoring Request Form to email@example.com. If you need help for writing, please contact the Writing Lab. Students seeking help with nursing coursework should email the nursing department at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Tutoring offers help with homework, test preparation, studying and test strategies. Our tutors are certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
Tutoring is provided by Zoom drop in and face-to-face formats. COVID-19 limitations may require suspending face-to-face tutoring; we will continue to follow Lake Michigan College and CDC guidelines. Please email us at email@example.com for more information. Tutors are available for most classes offered, and every effort will be made to locate a tutor for courses requested if one is not already on staff.
To find out more about the available tutoring services, call (269) 927-8750 or e-mail us.
Online Tutoring Services
There are three methods to access tutoring assistance.
- Tutors have Zoom drop-in hours scheduled as shown on the Zoom drop-in Tutoring Schedule. These rooms are available via Zoom, and the individual tutor's current meeting IDs are available on the Zoom drop-in schedule.
- Tutors are available for face-to-face tutoring at the Benton Harbor campus. No appointments needed. Tutoring schedules are available for the current and following week. The face-to-face Benton Harbor Tutoring Schedule updates as tutors’ schedules change, so check the schedule before traveling to campus for tutoring. Due to COVID-19, tutoring will follow LMC and CDC guidelines, and face-to-face tutoring could be suspended. Check the tutoring schedules for current tutoring status.
- Many instructors have added a link to NetTutor to their Canvas course pages to provide access to professional tutors–in many cases with 24/7 availability. These are available FREE to all students through LMC's partnership with NetTutor. If you do not see the link in your Canvas course, ask your instructor to enable it for you.
If you would like more information about any of these services, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Becoming a Tutor
Do you like helping people learn? Looking for part-time work with a big impact? Do you have recent upper-level math and/or science background? We have openings on our professional tutoring team for upper-level math and science tutors with a bachelor's degree or higher. Please apply online anytime!
We are also hiring for Peer Tutors! Apply online.
- A or B in subject you want to tutor or equivalent experience
- 3.0 or above GPA
- Complete job application packet
- Like to help others
- An instructor referral is preferable
Learning Assistance Center assistants are expected to act as role models for students by regularly attending their own classes, practicing successful study habits, maintaining a positive learning attitude and completing their own tutoring-related documentation as required..
All Learning Assistants are required to complete Level I of the CRLA Training within their first term of employment. This consists of ten hours of paid training in a variety of topics related to tutoring, including but not limited to:
- study skills
- customer service
- learning disabilities
- required paperwork and procedures
- tutoring specific coursework
- diversity issues
Learning assistants are given 16 weeks after becoming employed to complete Level I certification and will be paid for the 10 hours upon completion of the training.
Helpful Links and Resources
This page has been designed to provide you with resources to improve your skills and success at Lake Michigan College. Under each subject, you will find educational links to helpful sites.
- Lake Michigan College Writing Lab
Free help for LMC students to take ideas, notes or drafts to a finished assignment.
- Comprehensive Grammar and Writing
- Grammatical Questions
- Grammar and Writing Tips
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab