Assignment of a Grade
Office of Origin: Student Services
Last Date Modified & Approved: 09-22-09
Reviewed by Instructional Standards Committee: 01-26-09
- Students who have completed all course requirements as defined by the instructor will be issued grades of A, B, C, D, or E. For courses under 100 level, a grade will be followed by a period (A. B. C. D. E.) and will indicate the grade is not included in the GPA.
- Students who do not complete the semester, but whose standing in the course is passing, whose extenuating circumstances are beyond their control, and whose unfinished work is minimal, may be issued a grade of “I” (Incomplete). Such a grade must be changed by the instructor, not later than the last day of classes one year later, or it will be changed to a grade of “E.” An “I” is computed in the GPA as an “E” and may affect financial aid eligibility.
- An “IP” (In Progress) grade will be assigned to students who are enrolled in open entry/open exit (OE/OE) classes and have not completed their assigned work at the end of the semester in which they are enrolled. Work must be completed within one year after the end of the semester enrolled in the OE/OE course or the grade will be changed to an “E” grade. At the completion of the course work but within the allotted time, the instructor must submit a change of the “IP” grade to the grade earned. An “IP” grade will not be computed in the student’s GPA.
- All other grade changes must be made within one semester of their issuance.
- Monday following the week that contains eighty percent of the course, a student may withdraw with a guaranteed “W.” After determined date, the student will receive grade earned, except with approval by the instructor in extenuating circumstances.
Reporting and Availability of Grades
Grades will be available approximately one week after the close of each semester. Grades are available to the students through the student WaveLink account. Family Education Rights and Privacy Act guidelines will be followed. Students who are seeking employment and who wish their grades released to personnel offices or prospective employers must contact the Office of Records and Registration to request a transcript. No grades will be viewable nor will transcripts be issued if student bills are unpaid. This applies to Business Office accounts, Library materials, or other expenses incurred while attending Lake Michigan College.
Responsibility:Vice President, Instruction
References:Family Education Rights and Privacy Act