Skip to main content

Grade Assignment and Grade Point Average (GPA) (Policy)

Office of Origin: Academic Affairs & Student Affairs
Responsibility: Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs; Vice President of Student Affairs
Original Date Adopted: Dates Reviewed: 09-22-09; 05-15-18; 06-26-18
Last Date Approved: 04-13-21, 6-22-21

The following applies to all academic credit course offerings at Lake Michigan College.

Final Grades

Students who have completed all course requirements as defined by the instructor will be issued a final grade based upon the scale listed below. Final grades are posted to students’ official transcript of record as submitted by the instructor.

Incomplete Grades

An “I” is computed in the GPA as an “E” and may affect financial aid, housing, or athletic eligibility. An “I” grade can be extended at the discretion of the instructor.

All grade changes must be made within one semester of their issuance.

See Registration Policy for information regarding Withdrawals (“W” grade). A “W” grade is not calculated in the GPA, but may affect completion rate for financial aid. See financial aid policies for more information.

Mid-Term Grades

Mid-term grades do not affect the GPA and are not posted to the student’s official transcript of record. Mid-term grades are used to help faculty, staff, and students track student progress and success in each class, as well as allow efficiency in Financial Aid processing decisions. Student accounts will be reviewed upon mid-term grade submission and the Financial Aid Office and Academic Advising staff will be notified of failing grades, withdrawals, or otherwise insufficient grades.

Reporting and Availability of Grades

Mid-term grades are submitted on the Monday of the mid-point of each part of term. Specific dates are listed in the Academic Calendar. Final grades are submitted on the Tuesday following the end of the full term. Specific dates are listed in the Academic Calendar.

All grades are submitted via WaveLink by the instructor of record for the class. Exceptions are made only in extreme situation such as the hospitalization or death of the instructor, in which case the Registrar may collect and enter the grades and document the exception.

Mid-term grades are available to students through WaveLink upon submission by the instructor. Final grades are available to students through WaveLink beginning the Thursday after the end of the full term. Specific dates are listed in the Academic Calendar.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Grade point average (GPA) is used to determine a student’s academic standing, financial aid eligibility (including grants, loans, and scholarships), eligibility for graduation, dean’s list and other academic awards, second-admit program entrance, and often for transfer to a four-year university for further study.

Grades for courses below 100 level (transitional courses) are included in the GPA but cannot be used to fulfill graduation requirements.

Grade Scale and GPA Calculation

Letter grades are assigned a point value as indicated below. Cumulative GPA is calculated by multiplying the point value of each grade by the credit value of the course, adding the total number of points earned, and then dividing by the total number of credits. For information regarding how repeated courses affect the calculation of the cumulative GPA refer to the Course Repeat Policy.

Grade Points
A+ 4.00
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
D- 0.67
E 0.00

Course Repeat Policy
Registration Policy
SAP for Financial Aid Policy
Academic Recognition Policy
Credential Completion and Graduation Policy

Back to Top Apply Now