Please wear a mask on campus regardless of your vaccination status.
Board Governance (Policy)
Office of Origin: Board of Trustees
Responsibility: Senior Executive Assistant to the President/Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Date Adopted: 07-29-82
Dates Reviewed: 1-10-18, 11-04-20
Last Date Modified & Approved: 7-16-20, 5-25-21
The Lake Michigan College (the College) Board of Trustees (the Board) has the responsibility to:
- Function as the legislative and policy making body of the College.
- Select, appoint, and employ a suitable person, who is not a member of the Board, as President of the College, who must have an educational background as specified by law. The contract with the president may not exceed 5 years and the duties to be performed are determined by the Board.
- Establish policies, by-laws, rules and regulations for its own governance.
- Review and act on the recommendations of the President regarding policies, budgets, curricula, expenditures (consistent with the Authority to Bind policy), and other matters of policy affecting the general welfare of the College.
- Protect and promote the College’s public relations in order to inform the citizens of the district of the College’s programs.
- Encourage adequate financial support of the College through local and state actions.
- Provide counsel and advice to the President regarding the administration of the College.
- Require of the President such periodic reports as the Board deems necessary to keep it properly advised on the administration of the College.
- Accept the moral obligation to provide such leadership and such service as will engender trust and confidence in education.
- Reserve to itself all its legal responsibilities for the operation of the College.